I’ve heard various tales of the DVLA not being convinced and extra evidence having to be produced, but my experience was surprisingly easy. Now, I only have my experience to base all this on, and I suspect that there’s an element of luck involved as well, but I sent the following letter to the DVLA, along with all the documents identified therein.
“I am writing to you to notify you of a change in engine size to my Mazda MX-5, registration Jxxx xxU. The engine was sourced from a Lexus LS400, registration Sxxx xxU.
Please find enclosed:
- The V5 for Jxxx xxU, with section 7 completed to reflect the change in engine.
- A photocopy of the receipt for the purchase of Sxxx xxU.
- A photocopy of the V5 I held for Sxxx xxU, prior to disposal of the vehicle after removing the engine.
- A photocopy of section 9 of the V5 for Sxxx xxU, showing the transfer of the vehicle to a dismantler
- A certificate of destruction for Sxxx xxU
- Confirmation from the DVLA of the transfer of Sxxx xxU
I trust that this should be enough of the necessary evidence as detailed on your website at https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-details-registration-certificate/what-evidence-to-give
Please advise if you require anything else.”